Reading to your young child is critical to his or her literacy development and readiness for kindergarten.
How our program works:
- For families with children who are birth through age 5
- At registration you will receive a canvas bag (for all of those checkouts!)
- You may track your reading on a paper log we provide or online or you can also download the Beanstack app, apple app or android app.
NOTE: We are now using a new program for logging 1000 books. If you have signed up before you will need to sign up again and log the books you have already read if you were in the previous program. If you do not remember how many you logged please contact the library so we can look it up for you.
- Your child will receive a sticker after every 100 books, so be sure to check in. Any book and every book counts (no matter how many times you read the same book)
- If you have multiple children under 5, you may do concurrent programs
- Once you’ve reached 1000 books, you will receive a book to keep for your personal collection
So, why read to your child?
- On June 23, 2014, the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) issued a policy statement that promotes reading aloud to children daily, beginning in infancy
- Reading aloud and talking about pictures and words in age-appropriate books can strengthen language skills, literacy development and parent-child relationships