Reading to your young child is critical to his or her literacy development and readiness for kindergarten.
How our program works:
- For families with children who are birth through age 5
- At registration you will receive a canvas bag (for all of those checkouts!)
- You may track your reading on a log we provide or online
- Your child will receive a sticker after every 100 books, so be sure to check in. Any book and every book counts (no matter how many times you read the same book)
- You may repeat the program for children under 5 and if you have multiple children under 5, you may do concurrent programs
- Once you’ve reached 1000 books, you will receive a book to keep for your personal collection
So, why read to your child?
- On June 23, 2014, the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) issued a policy statement that promotes reading aloud to children daily, beginning in infancy
- Reading aloud and talking about pictures and words in age-appropriate books can strengthen language skills, literacy development and parent-child relationships